to make murungakkai poriyal at home follow the below recipe. murungakkai poriyal – drumsticks cooked in tomato and cashew gravy along with indian spices. murungakkai also known as drumsticks, mulakkada. murungakkai poriyal has nice silky texture gravy with awesome taste. i have added maida in murungakkai gravy that is optional, if you don’t want maida skip that. murungakkai is a popular vegetable in south india which is regularly used in south indian cooking like in sambar dishes, curry recipes. other gravy curries are munagakaya tomato curry, drumstick masala, mushroom curry, sorakkai poriyal, murungakkai kaju curry.
murungakkai poriyal can be served with rice or roti or idli. murungakkai or drumstick has so many health benefits and it is healthy vegetable try to include in your diet and your family diet. drumstick has vitamin C, B complex vitamins. drumsticks is rich in iron. it is good for immune system. it helps in digestion. murungakkai is good for womens and kids as it is rich in iron.
Ingredients for murungakkai poriyal
- Drumsticks or murungakkai – 2 No(large size)
- Tomatoes – 1 ½ Small or 1 Big
- Maida – 2 tbsp
- Oil – 4 tbsp
- Salt – 1 ½ tbsp (as per your taste)
- Chilly powder – 1/2 – 3/4th tbsp (as per your taste)
- Cumin seeds – 1/4th tbsp
- Shahjeera – 1/4th tbsp
- Flower – 1 No
- Poppy seeds – 1/4th tbsp
- Ginger – 1 ½ inch
- Coriander seeds – 1/4th tbsp
- Water – 1/4th cup
- Cashew Nuts – 10 No
- Curry leaves – Few
step by step instructions for murungakkai poriyal
- Wash all the murungakkai under the water.
- chop the drumsticks into 2 – 3 inches pieces.
- wash tomatoes nicely.
- chop tomatoes into pieces.
- In a mixy jar add tomatoes, cumin seeds, shahjeera, salt, chilly powder, coriander seeds, ginger, maida, cashew nuts and make all these into fine paste with the help of water. make sure the gravy paste should be fine no masala particles should exist.
- Heat a mini pressure cooker or kadai, add oil.
- after oil gets heat, add masala flower and curry leaves fry for 1 minute on medium flame.
- Now add the above gravy.
- fry until gravy oozes the oil.
- Add drumstick pieces and fry for 1 – 2 minutes.
- Add water (1/4th cup) and cook for 3 whistles.
Have this mouth watering hot murungakkai poriyal with rice, roti, idli, dosa.