dum aloo recipe – deep fried baby potatoes cooked in indian masala gravy which goes excellent with rice or roti or naan or poori or fried rice or chapathi. easy kashmiri dum aloo recipe with step by step photos. dum Aloo is my all time favorite recipe.
This dum aloo is one of the curries which I have learned in my early days of cooking. I have so many memories with this aloo recipe because i learned this dish when i was new to cooking.
When I cooked this aloo dum first time, it came really well and at that time onwards I have fallen in love with this aloo dum curry. When I thought to prepare this curry in lunch time surely I will prepare pooris too 🙂 , because poori & this aloo sabzi are an excellent combination.
this aloo sabzi process has little bit different rather than other curries. Firstly we have to pressure cook these baby potatoes in cooker just for 2 whistles. Then we have to peel the skin of the baby potatoes and we will deep fry them. Another twist is we will add deep fried onions paste which will give nice flavors to the gravy.
Then we will prepare the almond gravy. To make easy to cook that’s why I introduced all my curries in pressure cooker. Really doing curries in pressure cooker will save lot of time. Every time my mum will say how fasten your curries are being cooked. really this process won’t take much time to cook.
For this type of curries this lovely small pressure cooker helps me a lot in saving time. No need of deep frying these baby potatoes much long, just take them off after they got little golden brown color. This curry is perfectly suits for baby potatoes, in case you dont have baby potatoes then cut regular potatoes into medium cubes.
You may like kothavarangai poriyal, BABY POTATO MASALA CURRY, long green brinjal curry, shahi mushroom recipe, shahi panner curry, mushroom gravy, drumstick kaju curry, paneer butter masala, aloo kofta curry
Ingredients used in kashmiri dum aloo recipe
- Baby potatoes – 20
- Onions – 3 medium
- Tomato – 1 big
- Almonds – 10
- Poppy seeds – 1 tbsp
- Cumin seeds – ½ tbsp
- Coriander seeds – ½ tbsp
- Shahjeera – ½ tbsp
- Cardamom – 2 pods
- Flower – 1
- Salt – 1 ½ tbsp (as per your taste)
- Chilly powder – 1 ½ tbsp (as per your taste)
- Turmeric powder – 1/4th tbsp
- Oil – deep fry & 3 tbsp for curry
- Water – ½ cup
how to make easy baby aloo curry with step by step photos:
- Wash & pressure cook the baby potatoes for 2 whistles.
- Chop the onions into thin slices.
- Wash & chop the tomato into cubes.
- In the mean time heat a kadai & add oil for deep frying, after oil gets heated add chopped onion & deep fry them until they get golden color.
- Let them cool & peel the skin of potatoes.
- After onions get deep fried add baby potatoes and deep fry them until they got nice light golden color.
- Take a mixy jar add almonds, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, poppy seeds, cardamom, salt, chilly powder, turmeric powder, shahjeera, tomato and make them into fine paste with the help of water.
- Heat a mini pressure cooker or kadai, add oil then add flower & above gravy and fry until it oozes out oil from its surrounding.
- In the mean time take the same mixy jar & add fried onions and make them into fine paste.
- Now add the fried onion paste and fry for few seconds.
- Now add these lovely baby potatoes and fry for 2 min.
- Now add water and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
Enjoy this tasty and mouth watering dum aloo recipe with rice / roti/ naan / poori.
- If you prepare this dum aloo curry in kadai then you need more quantity of water (more than ½ glass).
- You have to stir the curry for every 2-3 min until baby potatoes gets cooked.
find kashmiri dum aloo recipe below: