tomato pappu is most famous in andhra. this andhra style tomato pappu recipe can be prepared in so many varitations, today i am showing one of my favorite version of tomato dal.
tomato dal is prepared by tomatoes, tamarind and toor dal. toor dal in telugu is known as kandi pappu. we can prepare so many dal recipes with this toor dal or kandi pappu like andhra style pappu, pappu chaaru, moongdal recipe, palak pappu recipe, chana dal recipe, andhra style pappu recipe, aloo dal recipe
the main taste of the andhra style tomato pappu lies in the tomatoes. to get nice tangy taste to the dal take sour tomatoes. the quantity of the tomatoes can be increased based on your dal quantity. to get nice tasty pappu recipe add more garlic and correct amount of tamarind.
i have added tamarind directly into the tomato pappu, if you dont want to add like this then skip this step and soak tamarind in warm water for 15 mintues and extract the juice by squeezing tamarind in the water and add this tamarind juice after you added dal in the tempering.
tomato pappu recipe
- Toor dal or kandi pappu or tur dal - 85 Grams
- Tomatoes - 2 Medium
- Green chilies/Red chilies - 3 Medium or 5 Small (as per your taste)
- Oil - 5 tbsp
- Water - 1 cup
- Salt - 1½ tbsp (as per your taste)
- Tamarind - As shown in pic
- Ginger and garlic - 1 inch of ginger and 6 garlic pods
- coriander powder - ½ tbsp
- Curry leaves
- Corrinader leaves
- Wash and chop the tomatoes and green chillies into pieces.
- Wash and cook the dal, chopped tomatoes ,coriander powder and tamarind in pressure cooker for 4 whistles.
- Heat a kadai on stove, add oil after oil gets hot add mustard seeds, jeera and urad dal fry for some time.
- Add curry leaves,green/red chilies, ginger paste and fry for some time.
- Now add cooked tomatoes, salt and tamarind fry for some time.
- Add water, after water gets boiled add dal.
- Lastly add coriander leaves and boil the andhra pappu until it gets thin layer(it will take 15 minutes).
- You can serve this tasty tomato pappu with rice or rotis.
if toor dal is not in smashy texture then add dal in mixi and grind it like a paste.
take care while adding tamarind in the dal.
boil the andhra pappu for atleast 15 minutes to get nice flavours.
serve pappu hot with rice or chapati along with aloo capsicum.
how to make andhra style tomato pappu recipe step by step photos
- Wash the 2 tomatoes and green chilies under the water.
- Chop the tomatoes into medium size pieces
- Slit the 5-medium size green chilies vertically with the knife.
- In a bowl add toor dal and wash nicely under the water.
- Now add chopped tomatoes, coriander powder, ginger and tamarind.
- Add approximately 1 ½ cups of water in the bowl (if required add more water).
- Pressure cook the dal in cooker for 4 whistles.
- After cooker is cooled and check whether dal is cooked well or not.
- Heat a kadai, add oil.
- Add mustard seeds, wait for few seconds for mustard seeds to crackle.
- Add cumin seeds, urad dal fry for few seconds.
- Add few curry leaves, green chilies and fry for 1 – 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, salt, ginger and fry for 1 minute.
- Add tamarind and water, leave for 2 – 3 minutes to boil the water.
- Now add smashed toor dal and mix well
- Boil the tomato dal for 8 – 10 minutes.
- Then add washed and chopped coriander leaves and boil the pappu for few seconds.
- Switch off the tomato dal.
- Serve hot tomato dal with chapathi or ghee rice along with potato curry, papads and tomato pickle.